Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Getting Started: My Concept of Learning

  1. Your concept of learning:  What do I mean by learning? What happens in a successful learning situation? Note what constitutes "learning" or "mastery" in your discipline.

GUS  

February 28, 2017

Academic discipline:  The pedagogy of teaching English as an International Language (EIL).

What do I mean by learning?  Learning takes place when new knowledge is accomodated (assimilated?) into cognitive structures.  I know when a student learns because the student can do something with new knowledge - Perkins would call that comprehension.  Moon and Perkins would say that reflection is necessary for learning.  Just noticing or working with ideas is not enough.  You need to connect the new knowledge somehow to what you already know or use it.    Vygotsky would say that learning is mediated by artifacts or others before it is internalized and the learner can mediate own learning.  

Teachers have learned when they can innovate in the classroom and then reflect on the outcome.  Reflection also helps learning when we plan using a new technique.  

Students learn English when they can transfer new knowledge to different contexts.  

Learning is both the process as well as the result or product.  Learning has been successful when there is transfer to new situations.

A successful learning situation is one which involves the student in cognitive processing - where the learning is meaningful, challenging but possible,   Successful learning situations are connected to real life to be meaningful - based on the way experts or professionals work.  Learning requires interaction with others.  

A teacher has mastered constructivist principles when she can plan learning environments and tasks based on problems or situtions that lead to meaningful interaction or negotiation of meaning.  Where the questions are real rather than display questions.

March 1 
How did I learn Spanish?  Immersion environment.  Had social reasons (intrinsic motivation) to learn - needed to fit in.  Intrinsic motivation.
First tried memorizing but gave that up.
Then I would sit around the family dinner table after dinner and listen.  
Then I began to discover and use patterns.  Voy a....   y Me gusta.... 
Would study new vocabulary when I needed it - example - going to the dentist would look up pain/cavity/stop, etc.
Learning was explicit as well as implicit - tried to learn subjunctive but after 7-8 months discovered I was using it.

I mediated learning by listening, using dictionaries...  Didn't have a teacher.  

  





No comments:

Post a Comment